Would you like to know how to open a bottle of wine? This tutorial will show you a number of unique and creative ways of opening a bottle of wine.
Learning how to open a bottle of wine has been an important skill since bottling itself was invented.
This guide will explain how to open a bottle of wine in a variety of different ways. Depending on the tools available to you, this guide will explain the best way to open a bottle of wine.
Step 1: Check if the Bottle of Wine has a Screw Top
Many wine producers are switching from cork stoppers to twist off caps. Considered passe by many wine affectionados, twist off caps can be removed without any special tools or methods.
To Remove a Twist Off Wine Cap:
- Remove any decorative foil or paper wrap around the top of the bottle.
- Clench the metal cap at the top of the bottle tightly with your dominant hand.
- Hold the bottom of the bottle tightly with your other hand.
- Rotate (twist) the cap off of the bottle by breaking the seal.
Step 2: Use a Bottle Opener
Traditionally corked wine bottles typically require one of a variety of different bottle opening tools. Commonly referred to as “wine openers” or “cork screws”, these tools serve the singular purpose of opening bottles of wine.
A variety of different styles of wine bottle openers exist. The most common is a simple cork screw that is attached to a collapsible set of poles which act as a handle to submerge and twist the cork out of the bottle.
To Remove a Cork From a Bottle:
- Extend the arms (if present) from the cork screw device.
- Extend the physical metal cork screw.
- Remove the foil top from the bottle either by cutting it or by simply pulling it off.
- Center the sharp point of the screw in the middle of the cork.
- Turn the screw in to the cork by twisting the screw using the attached handles.
- When the screw is completely submerged in the cork, begin to pull the cork out of the bottle.
Step 3: Alternatively, Use your Shoe and Bang the Bottle Against a Wall
This unconventional method is not recommended by wine producers or bottle manufacturers.
How to Remove a Cork From a Bottle of Wine Using Your Shoe:
- Remove your shoe.
- Place bottle of wine in removed shoe.
- Ensure that the large base of the wine is seated near the back of your shoe.
- Holding both the bottle of wine and the shoe, firmly hit a sturdy wall with the bottle filled shoe filled until the cork becomes loose.